In the top left corner of page 1:
- Your name
- phone number
- email address.
In the top right corner of page 1:
- Approximate word count (nearest hundred is good).
In the middle of page 1:
- Story title and author name.
Do NOT include the word “by”
Double space between author name and the first line of the manuscript.
Beginning on page 2:
- Top-header with your last name, the abbreviated story title (3 or 4 words), and the page number in top right corner. Use the header function; don’t do it manually; we’re not kidding.
- Font: 12-point Times New Roman.
- Left justified.
- Margins: 1-inch all around
Scene breaks: ### (centered) preceded AND followed by a carriage return
Format: doc, docx, or rtf
- Double space with half-inch indents, like a book, not a blog;
do NOT manually set indents; do NOT manually set double spaces; we’re really NOT kidding.
- No double spaces between paragraphs.
- ONE space after periods.
- Anything with manually specified tabs, indents, “special” formatting will be rejected unless it’s for a good reason, i.e. poetry or lyrics and must be explained in the submission e-mail so we know what to expect.
- Words that are NOT in the dictionary (i.e. foreign words not adopted into the English language, words you made up) must be italicized.
- Emphasized words must also be italicized (not bold, not underline).
- American punctuation for dialogue, i.e. double quotes.
FYI – Microsoft Word has a template with formatting preset. Scrivener also has a feature for printing standard manuscript format.